PDA

View Full Version : Family change room question

DAK
11-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Hi everyone. I have a bit of a sensitive topic I wanted to bring up and get some public feedback.

A few weeks ago my husband and I took our kids to a public city pool for a swim. Our kids are both under the age of four and we utilized the family change room. After swimming we headed to the shower and then on to the lockers to get dressed. This pool has individual changing stalls but it is a pain to gather all your clothes and children and go hide in a stall to change. My husband and I changed our children at the bench by our locker and then proceeded to dry off and change ourselves. There were a few other parents both male and female in the locker room in various areas and all the children were as young as our own. No one seemed to mind except one woman that stated to me that this was a family change room and stormed off. We were a family changing in the family change room. Are the changing stalls mandatory in a pool change room? Are we not supposed to shower there either? Just wondering what all your thoughts were on changing in the family change room. My husband and I are just normal people that are comfortable with our bodies. I thought the stalls were for people whom wanted to have privacy. Are we in the wrong here?

windchick
11-17-2010, 11:28 AM
I think that in a "family change room" one should expect to see families getting changed... this might include moments of nudity... that lady should get changed at home next time...

Drew
11-17-2010, 12:17 PM
I would have to agree here. If the children are old enough that you wouldn't want them to see a nude body of the opposite sex, than they should probably be changing in their gender specific change room. I as well am comfortable with my body and would not seek out a stall to change in. I wouldn't parade around in the buff, but would probably change at the locker as well.

Average Joe
11-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Sounds like the lady has some issues. I don't think you were in the wrong at all.

CDNBeerman
11-30-2010, 12:40 PM
...and this ladies and gentlemen is why we in North America have so many hang-ups over sexuality and nudity which should be two completely different things. There is nothing wrong with what you did. That lady has the problem, not you. Keep doing with you are doing. You are raising emotionally healthy kids in this manner. Kudos to you.

Snow
12-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi,
I don't think what you did was terrible however I also go into family change rooms with my son. Although I do change my son where everyone is at and in fact will kind of keep the towel up because that's how he wants it. When it comes time for me to get dressed I do go into the stall for myself.

DAK
12-21-2010, 04:28 PM
My husband and I were talking further about this and wondered if opinions would be different if it was only my husband and child. Or if it was just myself and my boys. Seems the men do not have an issue, but the females do. It's not unanimous in gender, but definitely close. An interesting variety of views. We had hoped for more opinions but oh well. We also discussed how there seems to be mixed feelings about whether this is socially exceptable, but if there are laws against something like this shouldn’t the pool have some rules listed? At least people would know what to expect and not to expect when utilizing the change rooms.

ck99
12-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I know growing up the public swimming pools we went to didn't have stalls or anything but it was always just one gender rooms, but sometimes fathers would bring in their young daughters or whatever.

I'd agree more women have an issue with nudity then men. In my experiences with change rooms, nude beaches etc. it seems that old men are the most comfortable people in the world being nude, and younger women are the least comfortable with it.